"Edited to Add"....

This started as a pregnancy blog when I fell pregnant in May 2009 after four years of finding a donor, doing all the counselling / paperwork / tests and trying.

And now, thanks to a 4WD which skidded onto our side of the road, killing our baby daughter at 34w and injuring me, my partner and two of my stepdaughters on 27 December 2009, it has turned into something else. We didn't want this something else, but apparently it is all we've got to go on with.

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Halloumi Cheese! We know you're in there! (because we've seen the photographic evidence)

Here 'tis:







Don't worry, Halloumi does in fact have arms & legs, even if it doesn't quite look like it in this pic. In fact those legs were kicking pretty strongly, and at one stage (when the ultrasound tech was trying in vain to move him/her out of the way in order to get a good look at my cervix) poor Halloumi put his/her hand to her brow in a very "woe is me" kind of way. Poor thing - getting poked like that!



This one makes me wonder if Halloumi is all set to inherit my overbite. A work colleague reckons Halloumi is pouting in this one.

There's also a very spooky shot of baby skeleton face, but I won't frighten you with that one.

4 comments:

  1. Very cute pics! Congrats on the photographic evidence! (I love your desc. of "woe is Haloumi") Speaking of, I've been curious for a long time, but especially because I was browsing my Food & Wine mag last night-- why Haloumi? It's a very cute designation in any case.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the cute little nose. We have a face shot too that I call Skeletor, I won't post those ones either :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks - we think so too! "Haloumi" came about because a friend of ours gave the nickname to my partner, El Prima, because it rhymes with her last name, and because she makes really good haloumi sandwiches (in a way that non-lebanese people can only hope to imitate). So when she heard that I was pregnant, she immediately said, "A baby Haloumi!" - and the name kind of stuck.

    In fact, El Prima's middle daughter likes the name so much she said to me, "Why can't we really call the baby Haloumi when he or she is born?" Friends of ours just called their baby "Milo" (which is a brand of chocolate milk powder in Australia) so she thought it was fair enough to name our baby after a cheese. And it is quite a beautiful name, but I think eventually our child would figure out that she / he'd been named after a cheese and might not be so happy with it!

    "Woe is Haloumi" - i love it!

    PS - I have to tell you a very daggy joke a friend of ours made up. "What did the cheese say to itself in the mirror? Haloumi!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa - those shots are very odd aren't they? Funny how a baby can look cute *and* spooky at the same time!

    ReplyDelete